Saturday, October 18, 2014

Oktoberfest


Being in Germany at this time of year, I didn't want to miss out on the largest fair in the world, Oktoberfest. When thinking of Oktoberfest the first thing that comes to mind for many is beer. There was plenty of beer, but it suprised me to see that only a few people were drinking with the intention of becoming extremely drunk (don't get me wrong some were). The vast majority of people I saw were enjoying the day, rides, company, culture, history, food and beer. Beer was an important part of the day, but only one piece of the whole experience.




What stood out to me most about Oktoberfest was the ability to sit down and talk with anyone you meet. Many times after a few minutes you and the people next to you were both sharing stories and laughing about experiences, as long as there was common language. By the end of your converstation it felt impossible that you had just met so recently. This ability to connect with anyone was what I loved most about Oktoberfest and why I plan to go again the next time I am able to.



Some messages need to be clear no matter what language you speak.






1 comment:

  1. I love the little guy showing the way to the toilets!

    ReplyDelete